June 3, 2022
by Miss Hutchison
Notes for Parents:
- If you signed up to donate any items for our theme days coming up, please make sure to send them in by the date listed on the sign-up. We really appreciate your help in creating a fun-filled last week for our first graders!
- Please look for any library books and/or baggie books that you may still have at home, and return them to school as soon as possible. Thank you!
- Red folders with optional summer homework either came to you last night at the picnic or will be coming home on Monday! Working through the folder this summer is a great way to retain all of the skills learned in first grade. You can also take a look at this Summer Learning Note for more learning resources.
Outstanding Movie Day: We had a school-wide PBIS celebration today… movie day! Our students have worked so hard to SOAR (be Safe, Own it, Act responsibly, be Respectful) this year. We are so proud of their outstanding work.
First Grade Family Time – At the assembly, we celebrated our learning and birthdays from the week. We also give awards for the quote of the week, lost teeth, and shoe tying. This week the quote was- “Endings are not always a bad thing, it just means something new can begin” Today we also had a special award for those that didn’t lose teeth this year & kept all of their teeth throughout first grade!
Countdown – To celebrate the last few days of first grade, we are spelling the words “First Grade” with a balloon countdown. Each day, we get to pop a balloon and do something special that starts with each letter. Here were this week’s countdown activities:
F – free choice (free choice on Clever during tech time)
I – ink pens (write with ink pens for the day)
R – recess (extra recess!
S – soccer (played a game of soccer as a class)
T – teach about first grade (we made Flipgrid videos for the kinders)
G – games (we played lots of class games like silent seat ball, heads up 7 up, and water balloon toss)
R – re-name yourself (students got to choose a new name for the day)
Writing – This week we created memory books- writing about our favorite specials, our favorite class memory, and our favorite books. We listed some of the friends we have made and got their autographs. We also put together our writing portfolio which we hope you will enjoy. This has published pieces of our work from each unit. Be sure to celebrate your little author!!! They have come so far!
Math – We worked on some place value review in math this week. This is a big skill in second grade and it was one of the trickiest skills our first graders had to learn in math this year. Keeping up with some place value work this summer will be very beneficial for your child! Even something as simple as writing and/or saying a two digit number and asking them how many tens and ones it has will go a long way.
Reading – This week we wrapped up our final unit of reading, Readers Get to Know Characters! We practiced thinking about what is happening in the story, imagining what characters might say by looking at the pictures, and rereading to smooth out our reading voices.
Word Study – We finished up some vowel sorts this week and put all our word study skills from this year to the test to help us read some fun Scholastic News articles!
- Monday, June 6 – Lemonade Day (wear yellow or pink)
- Tuesday, June 7 – Sports Day (wear sports clothes) & Talent Show
- Wednesday, June 8 – Beach Day (wear beach clothes, NO swimsuits) & Last day of school, early release @ 12:15 pm