January 19, 2020
by Miss Hutchison
Notes for Parents:
- Here is the note that came home about Valentine’s day cards. Please let me know if you have any questions!
- Interested in purchasing PE Apparel from our annual fundraiser? Here is the link to the ordering website. Orders can be made until January 29.
- If you have a chance to complete a Kindness Story with your child, we would love to add their page to our “Kindness Book” this week!
- Please email me your child’s winter sport schedule so I can come cheer him/her on!
Top Frog – We have been learning about empathy, kindness, and compliments over the past few weeks. Each day, every first grader will write a kind, complimentary note for the Top Frog and put it in his or her special envelope. Wesley, Mia, Kylee, Emma M, and Claire got their Heart Notes this week!
Quote of the Week – Each week, our class learns about a new quote and spends the whole week trying to embody that quote. At the end of the week, Miss Hutchison awards a friend from our class who really shined with that quote’s energy from throughout the week. This week’s quote went to KENDALL for looking out for others and helping them!
First Grade Family Time – Every Friday, all of the first graders at Georgetown get together for a little assembly! At the assembly, we celebrate our learning, give awards for the quote of the week, along with awards for lost teeth, shoe-tying, & birthdays from the week. Here are our “award-winning” first graders from Friday’s family time.
Mystery Reader – Lily’s mom surprised us as our mystery reader this Wednesday! Thank you for reading to our class. 🙂
Reading– We explored characters all week long. We searched for the main character in stories, watched how characters can change throughout a story, and analyzed character traits.
Writing – We have continued writing reviews this week by learning a variety of strategies to use when trying to convince our readers! First graders are writing about things that they think are the best: best restaurant, best movie, best athlete, etc.
Math – We focused on teen numbers this week, and we tried to find the “hidden ten” to help us solve teen number equations. We also learned about doubles equations (1+1, 6+6, 8+8, etc.)
Word Study – We added multiple new snap words to our word walls this week. We also looked at different ways to spell the same sounds. For example, the sound “oh” can be spelled with “oa,” “ow,” and “o.”
- Monday, January 20 – STEAM
- Tuesday, January 21 – Music, library
- Wednesday, January 22- PE
- Thursday, January 23 – Art
- Friday January 24 – STEAM