September 13, 2019
by Miss Hutchison
Notes for Parents:
- Walkathon paperwork came home with your child on Monday. This is our ONLY fundraiser of the year, and it is HUGE for our PTC! Please return these fundraisers in your child’s blue folder before the Walkathon on September 27.
- Interested in volunteering in our classroom this semester? We would love your help! Follow this link to see available slots and to sign-up.
- If your child participates in a fall sport, please email me their schedule! I LOVE supporting our first graders outside of school, too. ❤️
Top Frog – We had five “Top Frogs” (star students) in our classroom this week. Each student shared an “All About Me” page, sat in a beach chair all day, and was the line leader!
Quote of the Week – Each week, our class learns about a new quote and spends the whole week trying to embody that quote. At the end of the week, Miss Hutchison awards a friend from our class who really shined with that quote’s energy from throughout the week. This week’s quote went to HADDIE for always being up for a challenge!
First Grade Family Time – Every Friday, all of the first graders at Georgetown get together for a little assembly! At the assembly, we celebrate our learning, give awards for the quote of the week, along with awards for lost teeth, shoe-tying, & birthdays from the week. Here are our “award-winning” first graders from today’s family time.
10 Star Reward – We did it! Our amazing class of first graders earned 10 stars! We celebrated by voting on our reward, and the class chose to have an extra recess on the 4th and 5th grade playground! ❤️
Reading– We are “building good reading habits” in first grade! This week, we learned the importance of setting goals, reading smoothly, and scooping up words. We each got our own reading mat to use during independent reading time, and we have special new “milk & cookie” reading buddies.
Writing – We continued our small moment storytelling this week by writing our OWN stories! Students learned different strategies for spelling tricky words (say the sounds, look for popcorn words, etc.).
Math – We are becoming experts at number partners! For example, the partners of 6 are 1+5, 2+4, 3+3, etc. We have been using our workbooks to practice writing these partner equations for 6, 7, and 8. Plus, we’ve started using computers for tech time. We use the MOBYMAX app to practice our addition and subtraction fluency every day!
Social & Emotional – We continued learning about our emotions this week and had lots of good conversations about the importance of recognizing our emotions – good or bad. We also learned about facial expressions and how those can be clues as to how a person is feeling.
STAR Assessments – WHEW! We did it! Our first graders are required to take an online reading and math assessment at the start of the school year. Our fourth grade buddies came down to our classroom to help us log onto the computers for the first time, and they helped us if we needed directions repeated during the assessments. We are ALL done and super grateful for our amazing fourth grade buddies!
Word Study – We started our phonics workshop this week by studying the most important words in the world: NAMES! We met with our rug clubs to learn more about each others’ names. We searched for vowel sounds, blends, and other word patterns in our names. We also got special “Book Box Binders” that will store poems, songs, word walls, reading tools, and more.
- Monday, September 16 – ART
- Tuesday, September 17 – STEAM, Library
- Wednesday, September 18 – MUSIC, Micah’s birthday
- Thursday, September 19 – PE, Miss Hutchison will be gone in the morning for a training!
- Friday, September 20 – ART, Early Release @ 12:15 pm
If you’re going to the Hudsonville football game tonight, I’ll see you there!