Notes for Parents:
- A note about our classroom holiday book exchange came home with your child last week. If you have any questions about this activity, please contact me!
- Conferences are coming up this week! I can’t wait to talk with you about your child’s progress. Please let me know if you need to change your child’s conference time…I’m happy to accommodate your schedules!
- Please take a moment to give your child permission to participate in our school’s Art Prize 2020 entry! Follow this link to fill out the permission form.
Top Frog – We had four “Top Frogs” (star students) in our classroom this week. Each student shared a “show and tell” item, sat in a beach chair all day, and was the line leader! Our next round of “Top Frog” activities will begin next week with the privilege of sitting at Miss Hutchison’s desk for the day!
Quote of the Week – Each week, our class learns about a new quote and spends the whole week trying to embody that quote. At the end of the week, Miss Hutchison awards a friend from our class who really shined with that quote’s energy from throughout the week. This week’s quote went to QUINN for being a great role model!
First Grade Family Time – Every Friday, all of the first graders at Georgetown get together for a little assembly! At the assembly, we celebrate our learning, give awards for the quote of the week, along with awards for lost teeth, shoe-tying, & birthdays from the week. Here are our “award-winning” first graders from Friday’s family time.
Mystery Reader – Charlotte’s mom and little brother, Luke, surprised our class as the mystery readers on Wednesday!
Pizza Lunch – We loved our Jet’s pizza lunch on Thursday!
Reading– We wrapped up our word detectives unit this week by hunting for special words in our books. We tried to find words in our books that matched the cases we’ve been solving in word study (contractions, compound words, etc.)
Writing – We began a new genre of writing this week: Nonfiction Teaching Books! Our first graders get to become the teachers as they teach others about different topics. Right now, we are researching and beginning to write a class book about “Frogs!”
Math – We have continued solving story problems this week. We look for key words in the problem to give us clues about how to solve it. For example, the words “more,” “in all,” and “altogether” usually mean we need to add.
Word Study – We finished solving all of the cases from the Super Secret Detective agency. We learned how to look for compound words, contractions, words with blends, letter twins, and more! The detective agency is off to help train another class of first graders, but they were so thankful for our help! 🙂
- Monday, November 18 – MUSIC, Parent teacher conferences
- Tuesday, November 19 – PE, no library this week
- Wednesday, November 20 – ART, Book Fair shopping day, Parent Teacher conferences
- Thursday, November 21 – STEAM
- Friday, November 22 – MUSIC
Time with our 4th grade buddies on Friday: