Miss Hutchison's Class Blog

Be Nice • Work Hard • Learn Well

Week 23 Highlights

| 0 comments

OUR LEARNING:

Popcorn Words: We practiced the words “how” and “now” this week. We also did a few activities to help us notice the difference between the /ow/ sound in “how” and the /ow/ sound in “snow.” These are spellings that look the same, but sound different! 

Math Stations: We did a bit of review and took our Unit 2 math test this week, and the kindergarteners did an AMAZING job! We will begin our third unit this upcoming week. 

Reading Workshop: This week, we practiced another new reading superpower: SOUND POWER. Sound power encourages us to say all of the sounds we see in a word to try to figure out what the word is. The more your child practices sounding out words at home, the more comfortable he or she will become with reading books! 

Writing Workshop: We  wrote a shared small moment story in our class this week, which was all about our Valentine’s Day Party. We told the story on our fingers, made a plan, drew our pictures, wrote our sentences, and checked our writing to make sure we didn’t miss anything! We will write one more shared story this week before our kindergarteners write one final small moment story completely on their own. 

Handwriting: We are more than halfway through our “Handwriting Without Tears” books! This week, we finished our uppercase letters and began lowercase. This means that your child has been taught, and has practiced, the correct way to write every uppercase letter! Please continue to practice neat handwriting at home, too! 

CELEBRATIONS:

Happy Birthday: On February 13, we celebrated Grant’s half birthday! Happy half birthday, buddy. Thank you for the awesome goodies!! 

Mystery Readers: We had two more mystery readers visit our classroom this past week. On Monday, Brianna’s mom and little brother came to read us one of Brianna’s favorite books, Silverlicious! Then, on Friday, Kyle’s mom surprised our class, and Kyle helped her read a few books. Thank you for visiting our classroom!!

Shaving Cream Fun: This past week was SO busy with holidays, assessments, and everything in between. So on Friday, we decided to have a little shaving cream fun in our classroom. The kids had a blast writing words and drawing pictures in the shaving cream on their tables. What a fun way to end the week! 

Special Visitors: On Monday, Mrs. Bast’s second grade class came to visit our classroom and read us their realistic fiction stories they’ve been writing. Our kindergarteners loved listening to their stories, asking them questions, and giving them compliments! 

Lunch Buddies: One of my favorite parts of the day is when I get to take the time to talk with my sweet kindergarteners! With this in mind, I started a special event in our classroom: Lunch Buddies. Each day, one kindergartener gets to have lunch with me and a friend (if they want to). I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE spending this quality time swapping stories and laughing with these friends!! 

NOTES FOR PARENTS:

Mrs. Fabbro: Many of you have so kindly asked about Mrs. Fabbro, our amazing parapro. Recently, she was diagnosed with colon cancer, and she is still recovering and getting stronger so she can go home and start treatment.  I will be visiting her at the end of this week if you would like me to deliver any notes, snacks, or well wishes to her on your behalf! If you’d like to leave her a message of hope and love, visit her caring bridge page here. 

Book Orders: Please submit any February book orders to me by this Friday, February 23. Your book purchases help our class get more books, too! Thanks for supporting your young reader! 

UPCOMING DATES:

• Monday, February 19 – Art
  • Tuesday, February 20 – STEAM, Library
  • Wednesday, February 21 – P.E., Math homework due
  • Thursday, February 22 – Music
  • Friday, February 23 – Art, Book Orders due