Miss Hutchison's Class Blog

Be Nice • Work Hard • Learn Well

First Day Checklist

| 0 comments

Your child’s first day of kindergarten is this Tuesday, August 28! How exciting! I know this post is long, but it has lots of important information, so please take a few moments to read it thoroughly.

First, thank you so much for taking the time to come to open house and check out our classroom! I know you were given a lot of information in your child’s blue FROG folder and the yellow envelope that came home with you.  The yellow envelope contains many school forms that need your attention.  Please read through these forms, complete them, and return them with your child THIS WEEK. Thank you to those who donated extra supply items, too. Kindergarten is definitely a busy place, and it is amazing to have these supplies on hand to begin our year!!  

Here are a few reminders for things to bring on Tuesday: 

• Send your kindergartener to school wearing one of the name tags that I put in their blue FROG folder. Those are for day 1 and day 2 of school. This will help us make sure every kinder gets to the correct classroom. 
  • Send your kinder’s “ME Bag” with 2 items in it to help us get to know a little something about them.  Be sure to write their name on the bag.
  • Send a note for end of the day plans IF they are different than what you stated on your parent survey or in the confirmation email from me.  
  • Gym shoes, a cuddle buddy, an extra set of clothes, and a family photo (if you haven’t brought them in yet).
  • A lunch from home OR make sure your child knows what hot lunch choice they will be having.  There are 2 hot lunch choices each day (blue or white). Here is the link to the August/September menu for lunch options.  If needed, check out the Hudsonville Food Service website for payment information and information about setting up a hot lunch account. If your child will be having home lunch but ordering milk, please attach a small note on the outside of their lunch box or in their FROG folder for the first few weeks of school. This helps me (and them) remember they would like milk.  They will get to choose from chocolate or white milk inside the cafeteria. Lunch ordering is brand new for most of our kindergarteners.  I will be helping them learn the process, and soon they will be professional lunch-orderers!  It will greatly help me and them if you could have some discussion on what they are having for lunch daily (home lunch, blue or white lunch choice).  Often times a note telling me which lunch choice your child would like can help, too, until your kiddo gets used to the routines.
  • 2 healthy snacks for your kindergartener.  We will have a morning snack time and an afternoon snack time every day.  
  • Any completed paperwork that you have from the Open House packets. Please put this in your kinder’s blue FROG folder.  I will be sure to deliver the papers to the correct places! 

Upcoming Dates: 

• Tuesday, August 28 – ME Bags, MUSIC, First Day of School! 
  • Wednesday, August 29 – P.E. (Make sure your child has gym shoes at school by this day!)
  • Thursday, August 30 – ART
  • Friday, August 1 – NO SCHOOL
  • Monday, September 3 – NO SCHOOL
  • Tuesday, September 4 – STEAM, Harper’s Birthday!
  • Wednesday, September 5 – MUSIC
  • Thursday, September 6 – P.E.
  • Friday, September 7 – ART, Wear RED!

Remember, at this age, these little ones often get their cues from parents and adults around them.  If we get emotional and cry….they will too.  The more excited and reassuring you can be with your child, the better.  I truly LOVE what I do, and I will definitely be here to calm any fears that may happen, whether it be with a loving hand to hold, a distraction, or hugs of reassurance!

I can’t wait for our first day of kindergarten together! As always, be sure to email me if you have ANY questions. Thanks again for sharing your amazing child with me this year!!

See you soon,

Miss Hutchison