Popcorn Words – Our popcorn words this week were “not,” “who,” and “map.” The word “map” aligned perfectly with the start of our new social studies unit!
Math – We wrapped up unit 3 of math this week by reviewing our shapes, teen numbers, and number-writing. We took our unit 3 test at the end of this week and are ready to kick off a new unit on Monday!
Writing – We continued our unit: SMALL MOMENT WRITING. We kept filling up our writing binders by writing small moment stories about recess, mystery readers, play time, and more! We also learned the importance of checking our writing once we’re done. Here’s what our writing checklist looks like: 1- Start each sentence with a capital letter. 2- Use spaces between each word. 3- Add a punctuation mark to the end of each sentence. 4- Make sure your writing makes sense. 5- Make sure the pictures and the words match.
Reading – In our new reading unit, we have been learning how to read challenging books! These books have more lines, longer words, and surprise endings. We’ve also learned how to check to make sure the words that we read look right, sound right, and make sense!
Me on the Map – For our new social studies unit, we have begun to learn about MAPS! We’ve looked at the difference between a globe and a map, and we’ve started to learn about the parts of a map. Next week, we’ll dig deeper to find WHERE we live on the map!
Top Frog – We loved having Henley as our Top Frog this week. Jordan will be our new top frog next week.
Mystery Reader – Ms. Sherry (my mom) came to visit the class on Friday as our mystery reader. She taught us about nonfiction books and brought us a WHOLE collection of nonfiction books about animals! The kids were so excited to add these books to their book boxes and look through the pictures.
Kids Heart Challenge – Our kiddos started learning about the Kids Heart Challenge (formerly “Jump Rope for Heart”) this week in P.E.. Please take a moment to check out this blog post and register your child for this awesome challenge!
Notes for Parents:
- Take-Home Books are in full swing. Please be sure to read these books with your child and return them to school on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays!
- Winter Gear: Please make sure your child is all bundled up and ready for the cold winter weather! We play out in the fields, and our playground does not get plowed, so please make sure to send your kindergartener in snow pants, boots, mittens, a hat, and a coat on cold winter days! Thanks for your help. 🙂
- Parent Teacher Conference forms came home with your child on Friday. Please return the bottom of this LIME GREEN form to school by this coming Friday. I can’t wait to see you and update you on your child’s amazing growth so far this year!
- Monday, February 25 – Art, Take-Home Books
- Tuesday, February 26 – STEAM, Library
- Wednesday, February 27 – Music, Take-Home Books
- Thursday, February 28 – P.E., Take-Home Books
- Friday, March 1 – Art, Return conference forms