Miss Hutchison's Class Blog

Be Nice • Work Hard • Learn Well

Week 34 Highlights

| 0 comments

Notes for Parents:

• I hope you had a wonderful mother’s day and enjoyed the sweet card and picture from your first grader. ❤️
  • Please send in a cereal box with the top flaps cut off for your child’s character series writing (with his/her name on it). It should be large enough to fit a piece of paper. 
  • Our field trip will be on Tuesday, May 17 to John Ball Zoo. Please send your child to school with a completely disposable sack lunch on this day – food service will not be able to provide lunches for students.
  • If your child plays a spring sport, please send me their schedule! I’d love to come support your first grader. 

OUR LEARNING:

ReadingThis week we started a new unit talking all about Text Features we find in NonFiction books. Things like the table of contents, fun facts, and maps are different kinds of Text Features. We focused this week on Titles and Table of Contents.

WritingThis week students created their very own character that they will use for their realistic fiction series! They used a character web to describe what the character looks like, where he/she lives, and what kind of trouble he/she could run into! Students began writing book one of their series. I was blown away by their creativity! For this unit, our final project will be creating a series boxed set. We would greatly appreciate the donation of cereal boxes for this project over the next two weeks!

Word Study – This week we learned from our bloopers when we read.  We focused on the mistakes we make when we read.  We tried a few tricks to help us remember tricky words like Big Elephants Can Always Understand Small Elephants to spell BECAUSE and Father And Mother, I Love You to spell FAMILY

Math We learned all about equal shares this week! The kids learned how to divide shapes into halves and fourths. We also played around with shapes and realized that we can create new shapes by putting different shapes together. The kiddos were also introduced to 3D shapes which included sphere, cylinder, cone, cube, and rectangular prism.

Upcoming Dates:

• Monday, May 9 – STEAM
  • Tuesday, May 10 – MUSIC, library
  • Wednesday, May 11 – PE
  • Thursday, May 12 – ART
  • Friday, May 13 – STEAM
  • Tuesday, May 17 – Field Trip to John Ball Zoo